Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Being The Ricardos



Story:

Being the Ricardos takes place over a week of filming of I Love Lucy. During this week, the stars deal with Lucille Ball being outed as a communist and Desi's possible infidelity, as well as the insecurities of just about everyone involved with the show.

What I Liked:

The cast is tremendous. Nicole Kidman as Lucy, Javier Bardem as Desi, J.K. Simmons as Fred and Nina Arianda as Ethel, and they're all great. I totally lost Kidman as Ball and the others crackle with Sorkin's dialogue. I pretty much enjoyed the structure, as there were a few flashbacks among all the drama.

What I Didn't Like:

Being the Ricardos felt a little too Sorkin-y in spots, especially near the end. The walk-and-talks, the "I'm almost out of the room but one last thing" moments. The film might have felt a little tighter without those, but these are not dealbreakers.

Rating:

3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment